Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Recruit me!

Apparently this blog is going to get me a job someday?

And if its not going to be this blog, its going to be my friends who read the blog that will recommend me for a job.

Social networking is obviously gaining more and more ground in businesses as they begin to incorporate websites like LinkedIn and Facebook to recruit new employees. In the article by Allen Schweyer The Real Power Of Weak Ties(In Recruiting) Schweyer discusses the importance of social networking and the referral system in recruiting new employees to businesses.

Its important to note that in 2002, newspaper advertisements hit its peak at nine million dollars but then has dramatically dropped since the creation of online recruiters. If you want to get a job these days you need to realize you have to be innovative, companies aren't going to wait for you to acclimate to new technology which is why you need to get ahead of them.

Social Networking can also improve what people think of you. Lee Miller writes in his article Social Networking Has Its Perks how people may know you and what you are capable of but utilizing them properly can convince even the undecided that you are for real.

I never realized how useful twitter could be to promoting yourself while making others recognize your skill. I could tweet about every blog post I write(good idea!) and it would engage people to read it. As I plug myself it will improve my credibility and hopefully engage new people.

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminds me of our Dandelion Marketing class. It's so easy for us to cast these little nets of communication to our various networks, so why not blanket each with many efforts? Who knows how your tweet about your blog post could interest a friend who retweets it, catching the eye of the recruiter for your dream job.

    ReplyDelete