Monday, February 15, 2010

iFound You With My iPhone

"Hey, where are you?"

"Just check your phone, I'm the blue dot."

With phones that are equipped with GPS, you will never have to call someone to find out where they are. Instead just check an application on your phone and you will see a contact in your phone.

Whether someone is driving in a car or using the bathroom, it is easier to find someone than ever before.

In the articles "Rise and Rise of the GPS Mobile" by Marc Ceislak and "Students' new best friend: 'MoSoSo'" by Gloria Goodale they cite that there is a huge rise in the use of phone GPS.

I think GPS is a great innovation to be incorporated to phones. I personally have an iPhone and the use of GPS has saved me countless times after getting lost while driving.

As more phone carriers incorporate GPS I believe there can be a lot of positive outcomes. If people are able to find each other easier it can open up new lines of communication. If someone goes missing they can be found easier as GPS will find their phone.

Socially it can connect people together as they can meet up at locations that can be pinpointed.

I think GPS is great to have on a phone as it is difficult to carry a computer or laptop with you at times. Having it on a phone is convienent as it is small enough to fit in a pocket. Since a phone can do so much it only makes sense to have GPS be included.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you that there is huge convenience factor of having GPS on your phone. GPS eliminates the problem of not being able to find your destination. Do you think there can be some privacy issues that users may not be aware of? Do you think this will pose as a big problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mobile GPS is a great convenience (I doubt anyone remembers Mapquest). Its great when my GPS in the car is not updated with a new street or neighborhood then my mobile can pick up the slack. But I have a HUGE problem with being located without my knowledge or permission. I'm so uncomfortable but this could be a very good asset if you wanted to stalk someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that GPS application on the phone is great for getting directions while driving. However, GPS can be unreliable at times such as road maintenance that causes detour. As we load more applications onto the phone, the trade-off is performance. As for privacy purposes, some people have their location set to "911 only" while others choose to opt out from using these location-based applications. These choices defeat the purpose of being able to locate the whereabouts of your friends.

    ReplyDelete